If you are looking to elevate your marijuana smoking into its purest form, then marijuana wax may be for you. Marijuana concentrates (also known as extracts) come in various forms, and one of the household names for it being wax. This blog will cover what it is and how it is made, how to(and not too) smoke it, and the effects.
What is Marijuana Wax?
Marijuana wax is a concentrated extract of cannabis oil. These concentrations can come in various consistencies like shatter(a glass-like extract), Honey (like the bee’s make), and Wax (like earwax).
Marijuana wax is one of the most potent ways to consume THC and can have THC levels from 60 to 90 percent. The average THC level in marijuana flower is only 15-20% in most states (18.5 in Colorado, according to Herb.co). Another potent form of marijuana concentrate is THCA Crystalline, which is pure THC crystals.
How is marijuana wax made?
Marijuana wax is made by a lengthy and potentially dangerous method if mishandled during the process. If you would like to read an in-depth process of how marijuana wax is made, check out this post by wired (https://www.wired.com/story/shatter-batter-wax-how-cannabis-extracts-come-to-be/). To keep it short and sweet, Marijuana wax is made by doing the following.
Fist, Cannabis trimmings and buds are soaked in butane to separate the trichomes from the plant matter. This creates a blend of cannabinoids and butane, which is then heated to excrete as much butane as possible. Now, if we stopped the process here, we would be left with a shatter. To get wax, the product is either whipped, stirred, or shaken to create the texture.
How to smoke Marijuana Wax?
Smoking marijuana concentrates, also known as dabbing, is done in various ways, and some are more recommended than others. Here’s 3 ways to properly smoke cannabis wax and one way that should never be done.
Good ways to smoke
1. Out of a Dab Rig
- Go to your local smoke shop or order one offline (don’t forget to buy a “dab nail”, a torch as well, and carb cap for your bowl).
- Start by heating the bowl evenly until it becomes slightly red at the bottom.
- Wait for the red color to fade; during this time, prep your nail with your concentrate.
- Once color fades (should take 10-30 seconds), use the nail to insert the dab into the bowl(it should melt off the nail) and slowly inhale.
- While the wax is in the bowl, use the carb cap to help control airflow and prevent it from burning quickly. This also helps control how much of the dab you inhale.
2. With a Vape
Dab and Wax pens are one of the easiest ways to take a dab. Instructions may vary depending on the pen you buy.
- Make sure you have enough charge.
- Insert the amount of wax you’d like to smoke into the globe or designated compartment
- Hold the button as you inhale and release it once you are done.
3. Bowl or Joint
Smoking wax out of a bowl or joint does work, but you won't be receiving the extract's full potency. If you are looking to elevate your joint and bowl smoking experience, I'd recommend marijuana hash.
- All you need to smoke wax from a bowl is to pack a bowl with marijuana flower and then add the wax to the top.
- To smoke wax from a joint, you can either add it inside the joint (the easy way) or roll it on the outside of the joint (more difficult).
How NOT to smoke wax
Avoid this method at all costs. It is not worth the risk or waste. Hot knifing is a process of heating a butter knife on the stove and creating a makeshift rig out of a plastic bottle. This is all we will say about the process because we do not recommend this process, no matter how convenient the items may seem to be.
What are the effects of dabbing?
When dabbing, especially for the first time (even as an experienced marijuana consumer), the effects are far more significant and quicker than other methods. Comparably edibles can have a similarly high in terms of intensity (see our post about edibles here(add link)), but there are differences. When dabbing, you’re intaking the 60-90% directly into your lungs, and there it is quickly added to your bloodstream, inducing a high. For some, its a rush to the head, others body, and can even be both.
Due to the intensity, it is a great way to treat chronic pain for those with no lung issues. The feeling of euphoria is nearly instant when compared to other forms of smoking and vaping. This intense rush can also bring forth paranoia and hallucinations, depending on your tolerance. In some cases, people have even past out due to the potency of the extract.
Marijuana wax is a great way to elevate your smoking experience for those who are experienced. There are various forms and ways to smoke the extract, so you can find what works best for you (and please choose any method other than hot knives). Be sure to take the extra precautions to make sure you’re getting clean extracts and are consuming them safely.